Mexican-American journalist who has covered Mexico for many years, and is currently the Mexico City bureau chief of The Dallas Morning News. He specializes in covering the drug wars and the U.S.-Mexico border, writing stories on such topics as drug cartels and organized crime, corruption among police and government officials, and the spread of drug cartels into U.S. cities.
Midnight in Mexico
In the last six years, more than eighty thousand people have been killed in the Mexican drug war, and drug trafficking there is a multibillion-dollar business. In a country where the powerful are rarely scrutinized, noted Mexican American journalist Alfredo Corchado refuses to shrink from reporting on government corruption, murders in Juarez, or the ruthless drug cartels of Mexico. A paramilitary group spun off from the Gulf cartel, the Zetas, controls key drug routes in the north of the country. In 2007, Corchado received a tip that he could be their next target—and he had twenty four hours to find out if the threat was true.
- Richard L. Hasen: Justice Ginsburg’s dissent on Texas’ voter ID law a wake-up call for voting rights October 22, 2014
- Mark Davis: Objections to West Africa travel ban fail the logic test October 22, 2014
- Editorial: Houston went too far in sermon subpoenas October 22, 2014
- Jim Mitchell: Abbott, interracial marriage and the non-answer answer October 21, 2014
- Tod Robberson: When schools give Ebola fear higher priority than geography and common sense, we're in trouble October 21, 2014
- Musica q inspiro #medianochenmexico. Grs. NPR @AltLatino @megustaleermex @cristobalpera @shannonkoneil @shapiro_WAC npr.org/blogs/altlatin… 11 hours ago
- Gracias #NAHJMx . Muy buen encuentro con colegas en #Mexico en tiempos difíciles para país y periodismo. @MekahloNBCLA @EileenTruax 3 days ago
- #NAHJMx @srnieto challenge was to challenge #mexico nArrative that all victims r criminals in drug war. Not so..@AKochergaBorder 3 days ago
- #NAHJMx guerra contra Crimean 3 days ago
- Sharing #midnightmexico story by @leathau kcrw.com/news-culture/s… The kind of work we shud support kickstarter.com/projects/17483… @AKochergaBorder 4 days ago
Alfredo Corchado, Mexico bureau chief for the Dallas Morning News, Nieman Fellow ’09, and author of Midnight in Mexico: A Reporter’s Journey Through a Country’s Descent into Darkness — a Penguin memoir (Order your copy!)
Midnight in Mexico is now available in Spanish!
Connect with Midnight in Mexico:
Follow my Tumblr Page
“Like” my Facebook Page